Friday, April 13, 2012

Return of our Truck

All in all, I'd say that it's been a pretty rough year to be a vehicle in our household. First there was the traumatic death of our beloved George last fall. And then, there was the truck.
     The day was absolutely gorgeous, sun shining, moderate temperature, and I was having a good day with my patients. That was until our maintenance man appeared with a woman that I learned to be the facility's brand-new bus driver. It was her first day on the job. The maintenance man asked me if I drove the '01 Dodge and when I answered the affirmative, he dropped the bomb. "She just backed the bus into it." Yep, you read that right. A handicap accessible, 30 passenger bus had just creamed the passenger side of my truck. Parked truck. (we were later told by the body shop that it was within 1% of totalling out the 12 year-old vehicle.) I finished getting the patient back into bed before meeting them outside to inspect the damage and meet with the Sheriff for the accident report.
     The reaction of anger never really surfaced, praise God. I was upset, but I prayed that He would allow me to extend the grace that I would want in the same situation. After both the driver and I met with the administrator to call their insurance company, she even thanked me for being so nice about it all. I hope that day I was able to demonstrate the love that I have been given. And it's just a truck. (Don't tell my husband I said that! ;) And it didn't hurt to realize that it happened with a bus that was fully insured, thus leaving me with no out of pocket expenses.
     Another thought constantly running through my mind: how to tell Ryan. He did take it pretty well, after an initial minute of panic. Glad that I was able to get hold of him before he got home and found that in the driveway.   My company handled everything very well. It was just a pain in the neck to deal with all of the adjustors, insurance agents (mine and theirs), rental company, etc. If you've been through a wreck you know how time-consuming it is.
     Today we got our truck back. Black and sparkling. Dent-free. :) Happy husband. I was impressed with the body shop, as we weren't happy with a small detail on the door initially and they kept the truck longer to work on that spot. I was sad, however, to hand over the keys to the rental Impala. Those babies will move! Not that I was ever speeding in it or anything...
     So it's done. It's consumed time, thoughts, prayers, time. It's not big, or earth-shattering. Just a simple matter really. But once again, God demonstrated his faithfulness. Now I can throw the boys' bikes it the bed to go meet my running group in the morning. Actually, pray for that one. I've never taken the kids before the work schedules necessitate it tomorrow. There are a lot of scenarios that end with unhappy children and/or mother. Ryan's as bit skeptical. I'm pragmatic with as double shot of optimistic if that's possible.
"My God will met all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

Most of the truck length


Pretty deep

That's better  


No comments:

Post a Comment